The best, the fastest and the most natural ways.
After applying hair extensions, there comes a time when you want to or need to remove them. And like proper installation crucial, removing extensions is very important as well. By improper removal, you risk damage to the extensions, your natural strands, as well as shedding, breakage, and other problems.
Before we start going through the removal process, let’s talk about when you need to remove your extensions first. This depends on what type of extensions you have so we’ll go through each one. If you got clip in or flip in hair, then you remove it every day.
You can remove your clip-ins when you get home or wear them throughout the day only to remove them before sleeping. This is why clip in and flip in are known as not permanent methods. It works great for many people, and doesn’t for others, it’s all about your habits.
With all other extension types, including tape in, fusion, and micro beads, you need to remove them after about two months. All of them are considered to be semi-permanent methods.
The reason why you need to remove them is because your natural strands grow and move the extensions further down. Hair growth is also what dictates when exactly to remove them. Some strands grow really slow so the extensions can stay in for longer in that case.
But in any case, they need to come off in order to be refitted. A great thing is that you don’t need to buy a new set of hair each time you reinstall, old one is still good. Just as you can apply hair yourself, you can also remove it yourself and it’s actually much simpler. So if you don’t want to spend a lot of money at the salon, we’ve made a simple guide on how to remove each extension type with ease.
HOW TO REMOVE TAPE-IN HAIR EXTENSIONS
There is more than one way to remove tape-in adhesive and set your hair free. We will list three so it is up to you to decide, which one to use.
1. The Slow and Nasty, Yet More Natural Way (1 Hour)
- Apply baby oil on the tape and leave it here for a while.
- Start peeling off the hair strands. If they won’t peel easily, apply more oil and wait.
- Repeat the procedure and be warned, your hair will be greasy for at least few days.
2. The Fast and Better Way (10 Minutes)
- Grab a bottle of nail polish remover, which is acetone free, as it will do less damage to your hair.
- Using a sharp tool, apply few drops of nail polish remover on the sides of the tape and start peeling that edge. Once the peeling gets harder, apply more polish on the area and repeat the process.
- That’s it, really
3. The Fastest and Safest Way (5-10 Minutes)
- Is your hair expensive?
- If so, then just get a pre-made solution, apply few drops and start peeling tapes away!
- Congratulations, you haven’t damaged your hair in a way that nail polish would have damaged.
4. Pure Alcohol (30 Minutes)
The new tape can be applied right after the old tape is removed after the alcohol dries. The pure alcohol there is no need to wash the extensions to remove oil since there is no oil in this product.
HOW TO REMOVE KERATIN FUSION HAIR EXTENSIONS?
Now this one is much trickier, as keratin is basically a very strong (and natural) protein. Fortunately, there are still ways to do that and assuming you have some tools at your home, it will be absolutely free.
Warning: for keratin extensions, we strongly advise you to go with the pre-made solutions, which will reduce the risk of you damaging your hair and / or skin.
Tape-In / Keratin Extensions Glue / Adhesive Remover
As we’ve already said, invest in a quality keratin extensions remover and be done with it.
Apply few drops of pre-made solution on the bonds and watch them break.
REMOVING MICRO AND NANO BEADS
Micro or nano beads are certainly a great choice when it comes to boosting your locks and are definitely easier to remove than install. To take your beads off, you will need pliers. This is how to do it properly:
- Since there are many small beads on your head, you need to make sure that you remove each one.
- After you have decided where to start, find the first bead.
- While holding the strand in one hand, hold the pliers in the other one.
- You will see that the beads are flat because that’s how you install them.
- You need to press with the pliers on the opposite side in order to make them round again.
- When you do that, you will see that the strand of hair comes right off.
- Simply repeat this process with all the beads and you’re done!
REMOVING FLIP IN EXTENSIONS
Flip-ins are even simpler to install and remove than clip-ins. Although this method is not as versatile, a lot of girls love it and use it all the time. Since this is not a permanent method, it means you will have to apply and remove the hair every day so learn how to do it properly.
As you know, flip-in hair goes on the crown area and usually has two or more clips for more safety.
- First, you need to press the clips to open them.
- Find where the string of the flip in extensions is.
- Gently take it with your fingers and pull it back from your head.
- That should safely remove the hair in one go.
- Store your flip in extensions for further use after combing.
REMOVING CLIP IN EXTENSIONS
Belonging to the not permanent methods, clip-ins are one of the most popular options for girls around the world. One of the biggest reason for that is how easy it is to put them in and remove yourself. That saves you a lot of money and trips to the salon. Although clip-ins are very easy to install and remove, it’s essential to learn how to do it right.
- Since you have probably put them in yourself, you should know where all of your wefts are.
- Find the first weft, you can start with the ones on the sides.
- Using your fingers, find the clips that hold the extensions. As you know, smaller wefts have one or two clips, while bigger ones have three or four. Keep that in mind when removing the wefts.
- Press on the clips in order to open them.
- While holding the weft with your fingers, gently remove it from the hair.
- Repeat the same process for all the clips.
- If you find any resistance or tangles, do not pull on your strands on the wefts. Gently untangle everything and then remove it.
- After you have removed your clip-ins brush them and store in a safe place.